(aka Heartsease) Native to Spain and the Pyrenees Mountains. Truly a classic garden flower that never goes out of fashion. Like all violas, can be used as an edible garnish with cheeses or salads. Plants are exceedingly free-blooming from spring through late autumn.
- Self-seeding biennial plants grow to 5-6 inches
- Purple and yellow blossoms
- Good for container growing
- Flower heads are edible
Instructions - Sow seeds indoors 1/4" deep. Transplant outdoors when the spring temperatures are still cool and a light frost is possible. Plants enjoy cool rich soil.
- Start Indoors: 6-8 weeks before last frost
- Germination: 10-14 Days
- Plant Outdoors: 6-9' Apart
- Light: Sun/Partial Shade
Ratings & Reviews
Look delicate, yet they are exceedingly hardy!
Bought these one, possibly two years ago. They have self seeded and thrive, even under the snow (zone 5).