One of the most spectacular and majestic of the prairie plants. Large spikes of tightly bunched magenta flowers bloom from the top to the bottom of the stalk. An excellent cut or dried flower. Grows 3-4' tall.
- Perennial and hardy to zone 4
- Plants grow to 3-4 feet tall
- Spikes of purple-magenta flowers
- Excellent for dried and cut flower arrangements
Instructions - Germination is increased by a 30- day cold treatment in slightly damp paper towels in a plastic bag in the refrigerator. Seed can also be directly sown into a prepared seedbed in fall, or in early- to mid-spring. Requires a rich loam, clay, or slightly moist sandy soil.
- Start Indoors: 6-8 weeks before planting out
- Germination: 20-25 Days
- Plant Outdoors: 12-15' Apart
- Light: Full Sun
Ratings & Reviews
Grew in dry climate and neglected them, but they grew so well and attracted so many bees. The flowers are so attractive, and dropped tiny bulbs at the end of summer.