Recorded in South America before the 16th century, often referred to as Inca Wheat. Grown for use as a cereal and in ancient religious ceremonies. Long red ropelike seed-bearing truSeed Savers Exchanges give plants an ornamental and graceful appearance. Great for long-lasting displays.
- Annual plants grow to 3-4 feet tall
- Red seed-trusses ressemble ropelike flowers
- Sometimes grown as a grain
- Long lasting in ornamental gardens
Instructions - Sow seeds indoors just beneath the surface of the soil. Plant out after the danger of frost has passed in late spring. Can also be directly sown after the danger of frost has passed. Tolerates almost any type of soil. Good cut flower, fresh or dried. May require staking
- Start Indoors: 6-8 weeks before last frost
- Germination: 10-14 Days
- Plant Outdoors: 9-12” Apart
- Light: Sun/Partial Shade
Ratings & Reviews
by Peggy, North Iowa
Really enjoyed them, beautiful color, readily filled up the space in my garden, (give them room to expand) nice and full. Would plant them again!